With hacking attempts and NSA surveillance news hogging the internet, it’s not surprising to see the average user feel paranoid about their privacy. After all, everything you do is instantly recorded on the internet, providing customized ads based on your last visited page.
Messaging is a much more personal activity compared to sending e-mails or browsing the internet to buy products. You discuss intimate subjects, share personal details, bank account information and even share things that may not be considered legal by some governments.
The Android and iOS app marketplaces are filled with so many different options for anonymity tools, but these are the best anonymous messaging apps that you can rely on for your privacy.
ANONYMOUS MESSAGING APPS TABLE:
|App||Best Features||Known For||Platform & Pricing|
|Signal||Offers end-to-end user encryption on both text messages and voice calls.||Self-destruct messages with time, no special password or PIN required to login.||Android/iOS (Free)|
|Silent Phone||Encrypted, uses dedicated server by developer but no data is read or scrutinized.||Created by a reputed brand known for their secure communication software.||Android/iOS ($9.95 per month)|
|Telegram Messenger||Offers client-server encryption for all text messages. End-to-end encryption on all text messages.||Specifically designed for tech-savvy users and offers range of customization.||Android/iOS /Windows (Free)|
|Wickr Me||Allows you to send private, self-destructing messages with a timer.||More popular and an ideal platform for both text and video chat.||Android/iOS (Free)|
|Silence||Locally stored messages are encrypted with a passphrase.||No login or signup required. Just install the app and it works instantly.||Android (Free)|
ANONYMOUS MESSAGING APPS: A BREAKDOWN OF EACH
Signal is one of the more popular and well-known anonymity tools developed by Open Whisper Systems. It’s free to use, available on both iOS and Android combined with reliable end-to-end encryption on text, voice calls and media attachments. Standing out among other messaging apps, Signal is simple to use, highly secure and even favored by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- Free to use.
- Available on both iOS and Android.
- Offers the best encryption on all types of communication. One of the top anonymity tools.
- For a free app, Signal is one of the best out there. No major cons to point out.
Developed by Silent Circle, Silent Phone is a messaging and voice calling app with all the basic features and encryption one would expect from a private program. However, it isn’t as intuitive or supported as other messaging apps. The app is available on both iOS and Android operating systems, providing secured communication and privacy for nearly all smartphone users.
- Encrypted messages are secured by official servers.
- Easy to use.
- Lacks more features.
- The $10 price makes it an expensive choice with so many free messaging apps available.
This app is designed specifically for tech-savvy users who love customization. All chats are encrypted, allowing only you and the recipient to read it. Telegram uses MTProto encryption by default, but you can opt for end-to-end encryption by manually making some changes in the settings.
- Tech savvy users would love the customization options.
- Easy to send messages fast and secure.
- It doesn’t use the latest encryption technology. Needs to be manually activated.
Compared to other anonymity tools, Wickr Me has been around for a long time now. It offers text, voice and video calls.All encrypted pictures and videos you send will be safeguarded against prying eyes when using this anonymity tool. Geotags will be deleted and you can send messages with the auto self-destruct option when the timer ends. Wickr Me offers new updates and security fixes from time to time.
- Has a huge user base and provides reliable encryption to secure your privacy.
- Wickr Me contacts can easily stay in touch and send self-destruct messages.
- Receives quick security updates.
- Requires both contacts to have the app installed and their phone numbers connected.
This is one of the best anonymous messaging apps that Android users could go for. If you use an Android phone, Silence is an easy choice. It does everything that’s expected of a secure messaging app with end-to-end encryption and local message encryption. It can’t be opened until a passphrase is entered.
- No need to connect your phone number.
- Both users can instantly start messaging if the app is installed.
- Encrypts all locally stored messages.
- Works only on Android. No iOS version available.
- Doesn’t offer many customization features.
Latest posts by Richard (see all)
- Wide Range of Job Ads Available on the Dark Web - November 5, 2018
- Continuous Exploit of RDP Pushes FBI to Issue Warning to Potential Targets - October 29, 2018
- Ross Ulbricht’s Fifth Year in Jail - October 10, 2018